Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My top 10 irrational music hatreds

These are the musical artists who for reasons mysterious even to me send me over the edge. Lots of other people I know whose music tastes I respect like them, so I can’t simply justify my reaction by these groups’ inherent badness. Though, I confess, I’m quite tempted to do so, and in a few cases I think I could make a good case. But in general, I acknowledge that my intense visceral stomach churning and muscle-clenching hatred of these artists is basically irrational.

10. Allman brothers (Actually all Southern Rock. Southern Rock fans, I am SO sorry. Look, I admit my hatred here is irrational. Please don’t track me down and kill me dead real quick like, ya hear?)
9. Counting Crows (Get through puberty and get yourself a real voice, please.)
8. The Fixx (zzzzzz…..huh? did you say something?)
7. The Clash (London go away)
6. Don Henley
5. Barbara Streisand
4. Mariah Carey (Not so irrational, actually. Yuck yuck yuck.)
3. Dan Fogleberg (How can mellow make me so angry? Really. How?!)
2. Harry Connick, Jr.
1. James Taylor. 100% irrational. I. Can’t. Stand. Him.





I really don't like him. At all.

I’m serious.

2 comments:

Technoprairie said...

Now isn't it un-American to hate Don Henley after he brought us the classic "American Pie"? What depth, what lyrics, what did he mean?

Anonymous said...

Ummm. What does it mean when the only person who responds to your top 10 irrational music hatreds can't distinguish between Don Henley and Don McLean? Perhaps it means that what you really meant for your list was:
10. Hanson (bros.)
9. Axl Rose
8. Styxx
7. yeah, the Clash
6. Dr. Hook
5. William Shatner
4. Mariah Carey
3. Tim Weisberg
2. Tony Bennett
1. Leo Sayer